Friday 7 March 2014

Q & A / Cwestiwn ac Ateb: Circo Ridiculoso

We caught up with Danny from Circo Ridiculoso to find out a little more about his show, Three Little Pigs - a retelling of the children's classic, coming to the Weston Studio on 15 March.



Yn dilyn sgwrs gyda Danny o Circo Ridiculoso i ddarganfod mwy am ei sioe, bydd Three Little Pigs - sy’n ail ddweud yr hanes clasurol, yn dod draw i Stiwdio Weston ar 15 Maw. 
 


 
Tell us a little about Three Little Pigs. What was it about this particular tale that made you want to re-tell it through physical comedy?

Three little pigs is a classic tale with four characters, three of which are almost the same (the pigs). This meant it was easier for me to portray these different characters on my own. The structure of this and many children’s stories use the number three. So three little pigs, three houses, three times the wolf tries to blow the houses down, and so on. The number three also is important in physical comedy for gag structure. So I wanted to explore these ideas and play with mixing them together. Also there is a strong connection for me with the huffing & puffing of the wolf and air that balloons require. Relating everything back to balloons, as far as possible, was integral to the overall feel and aesthetics of the show for me too.

What do you enjoy about telling stories in this way?

I enjoy telling stories that the audience think they know, and altering it, taking a classic tale and seeing how I can make it mine, make it different with my sense of humour and creating ridiculous situations. I love using balloon props and surprising the audience with different sizes & shapes of balloons as well as being creative with the unique properties that balloons have. The audience are key to my shows and I love to entertain both children and adults that come along.



Balloon modelling is an important part of the show. How long did it take you to really master the art?

Balloon modelling is a great skill which I continue to work on. There are always new techniques being developed in this young art form. So I go to balloon jams (get togethers), balloon conventions, and practice a lot. For me in the shows, it is more important how I utilise the balloons, how they have character and add to the scene or to the story. There are many online free resources to learn balloon modelling or balloon twisting. I think if you practice every day for a year, you could be really good.

Describe the show in three words…

Huff puff oink!

See
Three Little Pigs in the Weston Studio, 1.30pm on 15 Mar. You can also book a free ticket for a post-show balloon modelling workshop, for children aged 4+  - click here to find out more.



Bydd cyfle i chi weld Three Little Pigs yn Stiwdio Weston am 1.30pm ar 15 Maw. Mae modd i chi hefyd archebu tocyn am ddim ar gyfer y gweithdy balŵn ar gyfer plant oed 4+ - cliciwch yma am ragor o wybodaeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment